Sweet Potato Pudding

6:05 AM Posted In , , Edit This 0 Comments »

I love sweet potato pudding, so does my husband and most, if not all Jamaicans, it's a popular Jamaican dessert. I remember when I was a kid and my mother would make sweet potato pudding on the weekends which was a great treat. She would mix up the pudding batter and pour it into a cast iron pot lined with banana leaves. Then my mom would place the pot directly on burning coals and cover the top with another layer of coals to allow the pudding to cook both on the top and bottom at the same time like a convection oven. The pudding always turned out delicious.

After a few trials and errors, I decided to come up with a new recipe that would leave the pudding moist but still be able to slice it as opposed to spooning it out of the pan which has happened a few times in the past. It was a bit nerve racking wondering if my new pudding recipe would actually work and guess what, it did. I have come up with my own winning recipe and we all love the end result.

3 1/4 cups grated sweet potato
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup coconut milk
3 eggs
2/3 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup Appleton rum
1 teaspoon ginger

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking tin with parchment paper.
  • Put the flour, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a bowl, whisk to combine.
  • Grate sweet potatoes.
  • Beat eggs.
  • Add coconut milk, eggs, sugar, ginger, rum, butter and raisins to sweet potato,  mix until properly combined.
  • Gradually add the flour mixture to the bowl and mix until all the ingredients are properly combined.
  • Pour batter into baking tin.
  • Bake for 2 hours & 12 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.

0 comments: