This Yellow Cake is truly delicious, perfect for birthday and anniversary celebrations. When my first son celebrated his first birthday we got him a cake for the occasion and we thought it was absolutely the best cake we had ever had, well my husband also remembers that cake and says that this cake tastes exactly like that one and that this is absolutely the best cake he has had in a very long time, our kids couldn't wait to slice into this little piece of heaven. The cake smells absolutely divine.
The frosting is also very delicious and pretty simple to make even though I was very nervous the first time I made it, its light and has a vanilla flavour and adds the perfect balance to the cake, they both compliment each other. When you make this cake for your loved one they will absolutely adore you and will remember it for years to come.
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup butter
4 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 ¼ cup milk
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
4 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons milk
• Preheat oven to 350 F and grease 2 baking tins.
• Put flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, whisk ingredients.
• In another bowl cream butter and sugar.
• Add eggs to butter and sugar and beat until creamy.
• Add milk and vanilla in with the creamed butter and sugar mixture.
• Gradually add in the dry ingredients and combine.
• Pour batter into baking pans and bake for 40 – 50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
• Let cake cool before icing, at least 2 hours or overnight.
• Add sifted sugar, butter, vanilla and milk to bowl and cream until light and fluffy.
• Add food colouring if using and beat ingredients.
To Assemble Cake
• Use a serrated edge knife to trim off the top of both layers to make the tops level.
• Place the first layer on a cake stand or plate and use a spatula to spread on the icing, then place the second layer on top with the top side facing down and spread on the remaining icing on the top and sides of the cake.